7.27.2011

The First Gardener by Denise Hildreth Jones ~ review

The First Gardener by Denise Hildreth Jones: Book Cover
My Review: Governor Gray London and his wife Mackenzie are in a beautiful season of life. Their daughter Maddie is just starting Kindergarten. After trying so hard for a baby, Maddie is the center of their world. But now she's growing up. Suddenly a ground shaking tragedy takes place, rocking Gray and Mackenzie's faith to the core. Mackenzie falls into a deep depression, while Gray mourns on his own. Jeremiah Williams, the gardener brings Mackenzie a different flower nearly everyday, each with its own special meaning hoping to help heal her broken heart.
   Come down south, and meet a bounty of unforgettable characters that will have you laughing, crying, and ranting right along with them. This book leaves no emotion untouched! Let the characters steal your heart in the latest release from Denise Hildreth Jones.

The First Gardener is gem of an emotional read that thoroughly touches your heart in a variety of ways. It was hard to put down to the very end, yet at the same time hard to read during particular parts due to certain plot twists. What I really liked about this book was the realness of the characters,  their dialog, and their emotions. Each character was distinctly unique and likable in their own wonderful way. I particularly liked Jeremiah, with his unique way of saying things in a way that was so real and honest, yet with a completely fresh, sometimes hilarious spin to it. Some of the story was told from Jeremiah's point of view, and I found myself looking forward to those parts most as I read this book. Jeremiah is definitely the kind of character who will warm your heart in a thousand different ways.

Ms. Hildreth Jones has a beautiful lilt and rhythm to her writing, and the humorous quips were priceless! I really enjoyed this book, though at first I wasn't sure if I would. It's a little different for me, but I would definitely recommend it now, having read it. Overall it presented an inspiring message of love, loss, letting go, and forgiveness, filled with hope and heart.

ISBN: 978-1-4143-3558-2


Buy it HERE

Thanks so much to Tyndale publishers for giving me a free copy of this book  in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Faye,
    I work with Denise Hildreth Jones and was wanting to know if you have her two new books for review. If not, and you are interested you can contact me directly at Joan@reclaiminghearts.com and I can get Tyndale to send one out to you.
    Thanks
    Joan Berry

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!