2.14.2012

Bandit's Hope by Marcia Gruver ~ Review

Bandit's Hope (Backwoods Brides)
My Review: Honesty is always the best policy.

Mariah Belle struggles to keep her father's death a secret in an attempt to hold on to the family inn. Mariah is of Chocktah heritage so she has to find a white man willing to marry her before her father's passing is discovered.
Tiller is an outlaw, who lives on his own scheming and cheating honest folk, but he longs to get away from his unscrupulous living. When the chance presents itself, in the form of helping one of his victims Tiller takes it. Ashamed of his past, Tiller lies to cover his past.
What will Mariah and Tiller do when their lies catch up with them?

I had a hard time getting into this one, though I will admit that I haven't read the first book in the series, I believe that Bandit's Hope is a stand-alone novel. The book was well written, but I found the plot a tad hard to believe. I kept saying to myself while I was reading "If only they would tell each other the truth!" And sometimes I struggled to understand the motives behind some of the characters' actions.
My favorite character was Otis, a nice elderly gentleman who had a simple faith, though at times he was a bit forgetful, he could always bring a smile to my face.

Overall, this book has plenty of action and romance that overcomes the odds. I enjoyed the characters of Ms. Viola (Vee) and Otis immensely, yet I never really connected with Tiller or Mariah, the main characters. I would mostly recommend this book to readers of westerns :) This is my honest opinion. Thanks.

Final Rating: 3.5 out of 5
I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!