10.13.2012

Sugar Fork by Walt Larrimore ~ Review

Sugar Fork: A Novel

Lucie's Review: Colorful descriptions and strong faith evoke the challenges of life in the Smokey Mountains during the year of 1925.

 Sixteen-year-old Abbie Randolph and her family struggle to keep their land from an evil and manipulative lumber company that will stop at nothing to claim the Randolph's virgin hardwood.

Walt Larrimore hit all the right notes with this novel of the Smokey Mountains. I loved how well developed and varied the many charcters were. It was a little hard for me to get into the story at first because I had not read the prequel and I think that the prequel would have helped me, so that I would have know more of who was who. It took a little longer, but I got to know the characters and love 'em just the same.

Abbie's life changed so much over the course of the book, and it was a sort of coming-of age tale, because Abbie had to grow up and go through so much. All of the characters were so well developed, and I thought the faith elements were especially well done.

Overall, this was a well wrought read, with each chapter sort of giving us a snaphot of life in the Smokey Mountains, Abbie and her friends dealt with the struggles they faced in smart and witty ways, that at times were humorous :) I don't want to give too much away, but I do want to say that this book was fantastic! I really loved the many characters, and the wonderful descriptions of life in the mountain. This is a book I heartily recommend, though I think it would be smart to check out the first book, first so you won't miss a moment in the Smokey Mountains!


 I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review. Thanks you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!