4.14.2020

The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson ~ Review

My Review:

So many people recommended this book to me, and rightly so, it's a gem of a read striking that perfect balance between heartache and hopefulness, capturing the spirit of the tough folks who made the unforgiving Kentucky Mountains their home.

Cussy "Bluet" Mary is the last of her kind, the Blue-Skinned Kentuckians, and a packhorse librarian who delivers reading materials deep into the mountains. She wins the trust of the hardworking mountain folk, while fighting for her place as a "colored", and giving people hope through literature.

I loved the culture rich way this book was told, and how Cussy shows rather than tells what life in the mountains is like and the challenges that its people face, through the various characters. I loved Cussy's passion for reading, and how it helped brighten the difficult lives of those around her.

In this book we see a lot of good and bad in the same characters, I started this book not liking Cussy's Pa, but over time he proved that he just wanted a good life for his daughter, even if sometimes he didn't know how to give it to her. I loved the stubbornness of the mountain folk, and their pride. I also appreciated how faith was shown in both positive and negative ways in Cussy's live, she had both good and bad examples of Christianity, and her own moments of honest doubt, the balance felt realistic and relatable.

Overall, this was a highly enjoyable read that brought real Christy vibes with the honest representation of the tough mountain folks, and their pride. There are some adult themes, and instances of strong language, but it all fit into the narrative of the story and wasn't there for simply shock value. I loved how this book had a driving aura of hopefulness throughout, despite the heartaches and cruelty of mountain life, with an honesty of the human condition. One of my favorite reads this year, with so memorable characters, and a truly unique and inspiring heroine.

Opinions are my own. All books reviewed here are either bought by myself, borrowed from a friend, or checked out from my local library, unless otherwise stated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!