4.21.2020

The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys ~ Review

My Review:

Wow.

Just wow.

About 75% of the way through this book I knew that this book would be the kind that would give me a serious book hangover.

A stunningly complex, spellbinding novel of depth, seamlessly blending meticulous research with a heart-gripping story that snuck up on me and took me hostage until I turned the last page down.

It started out slower, painting a picture of Franco Regime Spain, divided after the Spanish Civil War, contrasting the facade of Madrid shown to Daniel Matheson, the son of a Texas Oil Baron, with the realities faced by the citizens under the regime. I loved how the book used multiple characters, to show the challenges, heartaches, and hopes of the Spanish people, and though it took some time to get to know them all, I fell in love with each and every one of them as the threads of the story took shape.

I loved the descriptive language that showed, rather than told, evoking just the right emotion, and bringing the story to life. It is a book that is heartbreaking and beautiful, with a hopefulness, and bright bursts of perfection encapsulated against a foreboding backdrop, the contrasts making both sides more striking. Haunting in the best way, bringing to life a time in history that I was woefully ignorant of before reading this book. Highly recommend!


Opinions are my own. All books reviewed are either bought by myself, borrowed from a friend, or checked out from my local library, unless otherwise stated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!