9.08.2011

Leah's Choice by Marta Perry ~ review

Leah's Choice (Pleasant Valley Series #1) by Marta Perry: Book Cover
About the Book: Leah Beiler is the school teacher in a small Amish district, called Pleasant Valley. Once, she was engaged to Johnny Kile, but he jumped the fence into the English world, leaving her to pick up the pieces.

 A new family comes to the district, Daniel Glick and his three children. And the entire district goes about matchmaking between Daniel and Leah. But his family has secrets, and they want a chance to get away from their past.

Leah has a choice to make what will she choose?

My Review: Marta Perry tells a delightful Amish tale of love and forgiveness. The plot was pretty good, at times predictable and at others completely unexpected (at least in my opinion). It was the kind of book that you can relax to, for me anyway. This book was a bit different from other Amish books that I have read because it wasn't exactly light and it wasn't extremely heavy reading either, (laced with deep emotions, and heart rending situations). So I guess this one was a happy medium :)

The main characters were well drawn out, but I found my self wanting the side characters to be a bit deeper. But in the way it was written, I suspect that Ms. Perry is setting the scene for more books about those exact people I was wondering about. So I'll be patient ;)

One thing I noticed which is basically an FYI, is that there was a bit more telling-not-showing than I would normally prefer, but by the time I finished it didn't bother me at all. I guess I got used to it.

Overall a very good book, that I would recommend to lovers of Amish fiction. Perhaps fans of Kathleen Fuller and Barbara Cameron might enjoy it? Well, I enjoyed it and hope to read the sequels :)

I received this book from a dear friend and chose to review it :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Faye. Very well done!

    I just want to let you know that you won the lovely blog award over on LoaW. Follow the link to find out how to claim it!
    http://katie-mccurdy.blogspot.com/2011/09/another-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by :)

    I'll be heading to your blog directly.

    Thanks again, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Faye. I've never read anything by Marta Perry so I will have to look out for this one. Clear to see you're a writer since you picked up the 'show not tell' aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by :) And yes, I'm a writer. Guilty as charged :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!