A highly compelling novel of Salome, the mother of James and John, as she watches the trajectory of their lives and her own change as they follow Jesus, whatever the cost.
Ms. Kaufman has outdone herself with this masterpiece; she makes her characters so compelling and raw, relatable in their humanity. Salome grew up in a difficult home with a grieving father; she struggles to fit in and comparing herself to the achievements of others. As she marries and becomes a mother to 2 sons, she still carries similar worries along with those of her son's futures. I liked seeing James and John as they might have been through the eyes of their mother, as well as Jesus and his earthly ministry.
Beautifully written, the author does an excellent job of establishing the context of the culture, I felt like I learned so much along the way. I liked how the story made me understand the fears and false hopes of the past, and how His disciples had counted the cost and stepped out in faith to follow Him. I think one of my favorite parts was seeing how so many people's lives were visibly changed by meeting Jesus, from those with a single encounter to his disciples, Salome and her family as well.
A powerful story of hope, forgiveness, and faith. Each of the stories in this series have touched my heart and inspired me, but this one has topped them all, and I don't know how Ms. Kaufman keeps doing it! A wonderful addition to the series, that stands strong on its own as well. A standout novel, and one of my favorite reads this year. Highly recommend!
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.









No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear from you!