11.25.2011

The River Queen by Gilbert Morris ~ Review

The River Queen

My Review: Another great book from one of the most successful Christian authors of the last years.

Julienne Ashby is a rich socialite in the 1850's, with every thing she could ever wish for at her fingertips. But as a consequence of Julienne and her family's extravagant ways, they soon find themselves nearly broke with only a run down riverboat in their possession. Julienne is determined to make it a profitable enterprise, along with the help of her aunt and Dallas Bronte, river pilot with a troubled past. Will they be able to conquer the seemingly insurmountable challenges that threaten to pull them under?

A bit slow to start, but well worth it at the end, with memorable, well drawn characters, The River Queen is a book that shows how people can change dramatically in the face of hardship, and in God's love.

My favorite character was Carly who was tons of fun, and always brightening a scene even when things seemed bleak. She had a strong, simple faith and I looked forward to scenes that included her in them.

I also enjoyed reading the character development of so many of the characters, probably most dramatically, Dallas and Julienne. Julienne started out pampered and spoiled, and during the course of the book her faith in God grew tremendously. Dallas was a flawed hero, which is probably what I appreciated about him, he wasn't perfect, yet even though at first he didn't know Christ he was a man that the world would have deemed good enough. Dallas' knowledge was broad and on so many subjects and his sense of honor was most admirable.

Overall, I would recommend this to Gilbert Morris fans and other who would enjoy an entertaining story, with faith and adventure. It's not the heaviest of stories, and I know this book won't appeal to everyone, but I enjoyed it :)

Final Rating: 4 out of 5

I got this book from the public library in my area, just in case you were wondering :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! :)

    I've ready lots of Gilbert Morris' books, but not this one yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Gilbert Morris is one of my favorite authors :) I hope you get to read this one soon! Thanks so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!