11.01.2011

His Steadfast Love by Golden Keyes Parsons ~ Review

His Steadfast Love by Thomas Nelson: Book Cover

My Review: Amanda Belle falls in love with a dashing young soldier, Kent Littlefield. But then the Civil war breaks out and Amanda finds her heart divided between to two men she loves most, her brother Daniel, with the Confederate Army, and Kent with the Union. While she tries to keep her family's home in order Daniel and Kent are fighting each other on the battlefields.

First off, Ms. Parsons is a very talented writer and I loved her style. But it wasn't until 2/3's of the way into the book did I truly become drawn into the story, and the characters. At times I felt that the story moved too fast and I would have liked to slow down a bit, as this book spans the 5 years of the war, it was understandable. I also thought that the romance moved a bit swiftly for me, though their relationship was strengthened through many letters and correspondance.

The characters were a bit hard to get into for the first 2/3's of the book, but I eventually warmed to them. My favorite character was Washington, because he was such a gentle, faithful soul. I think that Ms. Parsons really did an amazing job of pulling off the Belle family owning slaves, because often Christian books shy away from that and I think that those relationships really made the book richer. I also liked the story of Claire and Daniel's romance, it was very sweet indeed :)

Overall this book was a slow starter for me, I was engaged, but not as much as I would have liked to have been. Thanks :)

Final Rating: 3.8 out of 5

ISBN: 978-1-59554-629-6
Buy it here

Thanks to Thomas Nelson Publishers for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!