6.17.2012

Through Rushing Water by Catherine Richmond ~ Review


Through Rushing Water
Lucie's Review: Hearts open and are challenged on the Dakota prairie.

Sophia leaves her job as teacher at Vassar, to serve as a missionary to the Poncas. Sophia soon finds herself facing almost overwhelming challenges, as her heart opens to the Ponca people.
And then there is Will, the quiet carpenter, who has a gentle spirit and has a genuine love for the Ponca people.
A tale of a labor of love, and fighting for what is right.

What a memorable read! I loved the natural progression of the relationships in this book and how this book focused more on the historical than the romance of the story. It really took me into the heart of the situation with the Poncas and their struggles with the Indian agents, and the missions. I loved how well developed all of the characters were even the smaller characters where thoroughly developed. The characters of the Poncas were well done as well. Also I never got the feeling in this book that all white people are evil or that the white people did everything right or wrong, I felt that this book authentically portrayed both sides of the struggle and how the main problems came from people thousands of miles away who know nothing of what was really going on.

Sophia was an excellent main character, who felt very real and likable at the same time. Will was just amazing, and he just kept getting better all the time! Nettie, the preacher's mother was a real gem and was the sweetest lady, even though her son was to say the least not very sympathetic to the Ponca's plight. The young Ponca children that Sophia taught were well developed as well, some were super cute, and others were older and deeper.

While this was more of a historical novel than I was expecting, I ended up totally loving it. Definitely deserving of 5 stars, with amazing characters and a sort of absence-makes-the-heart-grow-fonder kinda of love story. I will definitely be reading Catherine Richmond's next book after this!

I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Great review, Lucie! :) I LOVED Catherine's first book, Spring for Susannah, so I've been curious to hear how this one is - I appreciate hearing your thoughts!

    Thanks for sharing, Faye!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my mom loved it! From what it sounds like you will like it! Thanks, Amber :)

      Delete
  2. Faye,
    Thank you so much for your enthusiasm for Sophia's story. She's so different from the heroine of Spring for Susannah - I was a little worried that you wouldn't like her. Whew!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thanks for stopping by! She was different, and that is what made her wonderful in a different way. I don't know, but I think this one is better than your last book!

      Blessings!

      Delete

I love to hear from you!