6.29.2012

What I'm Reading ~ Weekend 6/29-7/1/12

Well, I guess I'm off again! Two weeks with minimal internet, having a great time in the country :) I have a couple of reviews scheduled and I'll be sure to get some blogging done when I visit the local library that they have there, so it'll be just like I'm here!

The Gifted: A NovelNow onward to the books!

I've never read a book directly about the Shakers, so I'm excited to start this one. I read recently that there are only 3 Shakers living in America today, so I'm sure to learn some things from this book.

Here's the blurb:

By 1849, Jessamine Brady has been in the Shaker Village for half her life, but in spite of how she loves her sisters there, she struggles to conform to the strict rules. Instead she entertains dreams of the world outside. When Tristan Cooper seems to step out of those dreams to entice her into the forbidden realm beyond the Shaker Village, her life turns upside down. Will Jessamine be able to survive the storms of the world? Or will she retreat back to the peace of Harmony Hill?

The thousands of loyal fans of Gabhart's Shaker novels will love this entrancing story of learning to trust the gifts God gives us and let him guide us through life.


The MessengerI'm also really happy to finally get to The Messenger by Siri Mitchell :)

Here's the blurb:

Hannah Sunderland felt content in her embrace of the Quaker faith
...until her twin brother ran off and joined the army and ended up captured and in jail. Suddenly Hannah's world turns on end. She longs to bring her brother some measure of comfort in the squalid, frigid prison where he remains. But the Quakers believe they are not to take sides, not to take up arms. Can she sit by and do nothing while he suffers?
Jeremiah Jones has an enormous task before him. Responsibility for a spy ring is now his, and he desperately needs access to the men in prison, whom they are seeking to free. A possible solution is to garner a pass for Hannah. But while she is fine to the eye, she holds only disdain for him--and agreeing would mean disobeying those she loves and abandoning a bedrock of her faith.
With skill and sensitivity, Mitchell tells a story of two unlikely heroes seeking God's voice
, finding the courage to act, and discovering the powerful embrace of love.


Well that's what I'm reading this weekend?
Now, let me shoot that question back at you. What are YOU reading?

Blessings!

4 comments:

  1. This weekend? Or next week?

    The Gifted, Also hope to start Bees in the Butterfly Garden by Maureen Lang, finish Bride Wore Blue by Mona Hogdson. May try to immerse myself into the nonfiction world of Liz Curtis Higgs too.

    All that while finishing up a strong year end for Mary Kay, celebrating Mom's birthday, and getting housework done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading High Desert Haven by Lynette Bonner, and just finished Tidewater Inn by Colleen Coble. I have read all of Ann's Shaker books from the very first one and they are fascinating! I can't wait to read The Gifted!

    I didn't do a review on The Messenger---very well written, but way too dark. Sorry. :( But you may like it and so may others and I'm not going to write a crummy review on someone's hard work, just b/c I didn't prefer it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, it sounds like you have been doing some terrific reading! I love all of those authors. The Bees in the Butterfly Garden looks amazing!

    That's awesome! Sounds like a wonderful time of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana, I have seen that one around and it looks great! I hope to get to Colleen Coble's newest one soon after I get home!

    The Shaker books are interesting! I really enjoyed it!

    It's hard when a book is good but just isn't right for you.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!